CALL US ON: 01225 776699

Buildings Insurance

Buildings Insurance


Buildings insurance covers the structure, fixtures and fittings of your home, e.g. roof, walls, ceilings, floors, doors and windows, fitted kitchens, built-in cupboards and bathroom suites. Most buildings insurance policies will also cover certain outdoor structures such as sheds, garages, gazebos and greenhouses. Fences, gates, boundary walls and damage to mains supply pipes may not be covered, so it’s important to read your policy’s small print carefully to see exactly what’s included. A comprehensive buildings insurance policy should cover the full cost of repair/rebuild in the event of:

  • Fire
  • Lightning strike
  • Storm damage
  • Falling trees
  • Explosion (caused by gas leaks etc)
  • Earthquake
  • Damage through contact with a vehicle or vandalism
  • Bursting or freezing of the plumbing


Be sure to check that you’re covered for subsidence and flood if your property lies within a risk area. This extra cover may cost more but you’ll breathe a massive sigh of relief should anything ever go wrong. You might also want to check that your buildings insurance policy provides you with alternative accommodation if your home becomes temporarily uninhabitable.



Homeowners with properties built in areas with high clay content are at risk of subsidence, and houses in such areas may be subject to policy excesses up to around £2,500. To reduce the likelihood of subsidence, take care not to plant trees and large shrubs too close to your property as they suck up the moisture in the ground, causing the clay to shrink. If you already have trees, don’t just run outside with an axe in the hopes of lowering your premiums – you may need council permission before any felling can take place.



The Environment Agency National Assessment Flood Risk states approximately 5.2 million properties, or one in six properties, are at risk of flooding.  read full report

You can find out if your house is at risk by entering a postcode in the Environment Agency’s online flood risk map. If you do live in a flood zone, here are some tips on how to weather the storm:

  • If you want to stop sewage backing up into your home during a flood, have your drainage pipes fitted with one-way valves.
  • Raising the height of plug sockets will lessen the chances of electrical damage.
  • Permanently fit doors, airbricks and low windows with flood skirts. In the event of flooding, these slide into place to form a watertight barrier.
  • If you do live in a flood-prone area, keep important documents, including contact details for your insurer and a copy of the policy, in a waterproof bag.
  • Replace downstairs wooden flooring with concrete and consider tiling rather than carpeting. • Have your downstairs walls re-plastered with a special water-resistant render.


Is buildings insurance compulsory?

If your property is mortgaged then your lender will require you to have adequate buildings insurance in place to help safeguard their investment in your home. This cover will likely need to run from the date of exchange of contracts right up to the full term of the mortgage.





At Town & Country Mortgages our priority is always to provide quality advice and service to our customers.
We strive to ask all our customers to provide feedback and below are extracts from questionnaires completed by our customers in 2014.

Town & Country Mortgages were brilliant!! Having visited other mortgage brokers beforehand - everything was made much clearer to us by Town & Country  Mortgages.  Issues were dealt with quickly and concisely and every attempt made to accommodate work schedules we had. We would definitely recommend Town & Country Mortgages to anyone looking to buy a new property or re-mortgage.

Mr Rawlings July 21, 2017