CALL US ON: 01225 776699

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers any item that is not part of your home, such as goods, furniture, and other valuables. Some contents insurance policies even cover the contents of your fridge and freezer! Other policies may cover items outside your home for an additional charge.

Contents insurance policies don’t just cover the everyday items in your home. Imagine if you had a fire or your home was flooded, you could end up having to refit new kitchen, a washing machine, a boiler and be hit with a bill for thousands of pounds.


What does contents insurance cover?


  • The cost of your possessions
  • Carpets, furniture, electrics
  • It may cover goods in your outbuildings


It protects your possessions from:



  • Fire damage
  • Floods and storms
  • Natural disasters
  • Vandalism or malicious damage
  • Theft


It may also cover


  • Theft outside of your property, whilst you are abroad for example
  • Garden furniture or equipment
  • Accidental damage


It does not cover:



  • Self-inflicted damage – eg DIY gone wrong
  • Loss or stolen items – outside a certain distance of your property


Features available:


  • New for old contents insurance – replaces items with today’s equivalent price. Although it may cost more it could be worth it for furniture and electrical goods.
  • Indemnity cover – takes into account the wear and tear of the item, so the cost of replacing it is taken into consideration.
  • All risks – covers all items taken outside home, such as jewellery, wallets, mobile phones. It can be useful when you go on holiday.
  • Legal cover – should you need to compensate someone for injury, or are involved in a dispute with your neighbour.
  • Freezer contents cover – should food in your fridge and freezer become inedible.
  • Sports equipment – golf clubs, racquets.
  • Garden equipment – lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, power tools.


Other things to bear in mind:


  • Flats and Apartments – If you live in a flat or an apartment, your contents insurance policy will differ from the standard type, as it needs to take into considerations such as theft from a tenant, or previous tenants with keys. It’s important that you check the ‘shared entrance’ clause.


  • Landlords – As a landlord it’s advised to take out buildings insurance, as it’s often considered the tenant’s responsibility to insure their own possessions. However, you may wish to insure more expensive furnishings such as sofas, beds, curtains and carpets that may not seem important to your tenant. It’s always advisable to have a minimum level of contents cover in case of flood or fire. Specialist landlords content insurance policies will usually cover the basics.


Emergency assistance – covers the cost of a call out by a contractor to carry out some emergency work.

Legal cover – should you need assistance with tenants who damage your property, refuse to pay rent or refuse to leave your property.

Rent Guarantee – pays you the rent even if your tenant refuses to do so.


  • Valuables – Some contents insurance policies will only insure up to a minimum value for each item. For more expensive items, such as jewellery or antiques, you may need to insure these with additional cover, or take out a separate policy. Make sure you make a checklist of all your valuables and take photo’s of each item.


  • Accidental damage – Imagine if you were to spill paint on your brand new carpet, or your children knock over an expensive vase, or have a cat that can’t get enough of scratching your furniture. Adding accidental damage to your policy covers you for items that may be dropped and broken or damaged unintentionally. Although it costs extra, seeing as we are far more likely to damage or destroy an expensive item by accident, accidental damage cover is a wise idea.


  • Excess – With any insurance policy, it’s important to read the small print to see what you are and what you’re not covered for. You don’t want to have an even nastier shock if you find out your stolen laptop actually wasn’t covered




At Town & Country Mortgages our priority is always to provide quality advice and service to our customers.
We strive to ask all our customers to provide feedback and below are extracts from questionnaires completed by our customers in 2014.

Additional to the already positive feedback given to your service and staff, I feel it worth mentioning it is due to the way in which Town & Country and in particular Oliver conducted themselves on my previous first house purchase as to why I used your services again.  I will be quick to recommend your services to anyone I know for mortgage advice and would definitely look to yourselves for any advice I require in the future.  Many thanks.

Mr McPherson July 21, 2017